To clarify, my Dad was not a ham.  But he did teach me and the rest of the
scouts the code.  He was my first scoutmaster.  When I joined the Navy at
age 19, he got interested and got his novice ticket as a surprise.  I was
at K6NCG, going to ET'A' school on Treasure Island.  He called me on the
phone, which was a big deal long distance from Indiana to California in
1962.  We met on the 40M Novice band and I was his first QSO.  He refused
to work anyone else until he worked me.  When he died in 1999,  I found the
QSL I had sent him from K6NCG, hanging on his bedroom wall. He never got
his general.

As I said before, memories are priceless.

73,

Dave, K4TO