The cause of my chirp is my K3SYN board; the intermittent nature was purely
related to what frequency I was on.  Turns out when I was on 14044.74, plus
or minus a little, the chirp was there, even when I was transmitting at a
few watts out.  I did the Config VCO Cal procedure Wayne mentioned, didn't
fix the problem, nor did reseating the board and doing the procedure
again.  There is a mod from 2010 or so to correct a problem like this, but
my board already has this done (r20 is 25 ohms not 50).  I have an older
K3, and I moved its K3SYN board to the newer K3, seems to work fine, no
chirp.  Meanwhile, I put the odd K3SYN in the older K3 and the chirp is
there, same frequency.

I'm not sure if I caused other issues when I swapped the boards, so if you
hear me on, drop me an email to let me know how its sounding.  The older
board doesn't have the metal plate stiffener on it, nor does it have the
2010 mod.

Meanwhile, I'm in the market for a K3SYN board.  Don't know if elecraft has
them as spare parts or can repair the one I have.  Will have to ask.

  Dana