Tnx to Andy and Bob for the feedback on this. Yes the manual says that the Main / Sub radios must be connected at 115,200 bps, and while it was some time ago, my testing here seemed to prove it true.

The 890 does install 2 virtual com ports for the USB connection: standard and enhanced. The standard port is used for radio control and audio in and out. The enhanced port seems to have limited functionality. It's a little beyond my skills and abilities to figure out if the band data is available here and if so, how to get it to the KPA500.

I've gotten away with a single receiver for decades, so no big deal, or I can just go with the RF sensing on the amp.

Tnx again, Steve KW3A