Just to mirror what Ed mentioned…
I have my complete 160 - 5G station running off of my K3 bought in 2011 and
upgraded.
I have the internal 144 transverter which had to go back 3 times to get spurs
sorted out.
One think I note, is signal compression as I have pagers just below 144 Mhz and
when they fire up
They desense the 2 m transverter….
I’ve correlated this with an SDR. The problem is lack of filtering in the
internal transverter as the front end sees well beyond 144 - 148.
The solution was to add a filter with a steep rolloff below 144 Mhz…

I would hope that the guys at Elecraft when designing the new K4 transverter
system will take a cue from DEMI and Q5 and ensure adequate
Bandpass filtering in the front ends… I would think TOKO or similar are your
friends on this …

Just my 2 cents.  I use the 2 m to drive all my microwave stuff as well and
with GPS locking its nice to be able to know where you are …

Having said that, Q5 have a really slick multi band transverter that would
integrate really well on the K3 or K4… but at a price point.
Anyway I do hope Elecraft come up with something that is crunch proof and rock
solid for 144 222 432 MHz.

73 Dana VE3DS