After my K3 broke last fall, I bought a IC7300 the week before CQWW CW so that
I could be on the air.  I set it up with KAT500/KPA500 the way it is
recommended by Elecraft.  Using a tuner cable from IC7300 to power and provide
key information to KAT500.

First a word about my operating style - I like to operate with the filters open
unless I have QRM problems.  Even while contesting, the narrowest filter I tend
to use is 500Hz.

Before the contest started, I loved the sound from the IC7300.   It had the
cleanness that I associate with SDR radios - Mercury, Anan, Hermes, etc.  From
prior usage of direct conversion SDRs I knew to expect ADC overload and how to
deal with it using attenuation.

After the contest started, the IC7300 was trash.  It just could not deal with
the wall to wall signals.  Tons of artifacts, AGC pumping.  I tried narrower
filters, etc.  Absolutely bad.  I had never experienced anything like this on
the K3.

It sure incentivized me to fix the K3, which I did and sold the IC7300 in
January.  The good news about the 7300 is that the demand is so robust that I
only lost a little in the purchase and resale.

Raj, N2RD