Wyn,

If you have the hot air gun or oven and solder paste and know how to use it,
by all means go that route, but if not, then just use the Hakko - you will
be soldering two widely spaced tabs on the capacitors rather than finely
spaced leads like are encountered on SMD ICs.  Yes, the Kester 44 will work
just fine if the diameter is small enough to properly control the amount of
solder applied.

If the copper area is large, crank the heat on the Hakko a bit higher or use
a larger iron.

Since you have a 15 to 20 mm gap on the PC board, why not use capacitors
with leads rather than the SMD variety (unless you already have the SMD caps
in hand).  The extension tabs that you add will likely have just as much
inductance as the capacitor leads.  Of course, if this amp is for use at
VHF/UHF, then  any extra inductance may matter, but likely not for HF.

73,
Don W3FPR