On 6/28/2021 7:41 PM, Phil Kane wrote:
Believe it or not, there are still good programs that will not run on the "newer" operating systems.  I'm wrestling with one now (a configuration program for a classic ICOM V/U transceiver) that will not run on a 64-bit machine nor will it be recognized when loaded on a CD on a Windows 98 machine (yes, I have access to one of those as well).

One solution for software that needs an older OS is Virtual Box. I'm using on a Win10-64 machine to run an ancient version of Quicken that I don't have to buy every year. It's running in an XP box. You can load a lot of different OSs if you have them on media to get them loaded.

The
next try will be on a 3-1/2 inch floppy (have one of those floating around??)

Yep -- both in two dead towers from around 2000, in a couple of ancient laptops that still work, and one I recently bought that goes to a USB port. Cost about $20.

73, Jim K9YC