Wayne, next week is a good time to get your feet wet.  Come on in, the water
is fine.  The Grid Dip contest is a fun one, just your call and grid
location.   http://www.n2ty.org/seasons/tara_grid_rules.html

Here is the RTTY bandplan:
http://www.aa5au.com/gettingstarted/rtty_subbands.htm

When there are no contests, just get on the lower range of the band and call
"CQ RAGCHEW".  There is a guy that is usually on around 14.085 that likes to
ragchew, contest or no contest.  If there is a contest, then you will see
quite a lot of activity.

As the sun comes up, 20 meters is good and you will find lots of stations
here.  As the sun keeps going, 15 meters will open up and sometimes 10.
Then, as the sun goes down, 40 and then 80 will be a good place to make
contacts.

There is also an RTTY reflector:

Once you figure out the software and your various settings, RTTY is fun and
you can make a lot of contacts.  Let me know if I can be of further
assistance, Dave, NC6P.