Paul Neuman wrote:
What a thrill... This is the first kit I've built in about 25 years. The last ones were a couple of Heathkit weather instruments that I put together in the early '80s. I was a bit leary of attacking this one but I guess I did ok. The toroids weren't really such a big deal, but I sure made good use of a magnifying glass!

I took my time and apart from some confusion here and there, I encountered no real problems. I did have some trouble though with the final receiver alignment. I just couldn't get the trimmers peaked but I finally switched antennas and that seemed to help.

Everything seems to work just FB. Power output appears pretty even on 20 & 40. I made about 20 contacts today in the IOTA contest, across both NA and EUR. The little paddle works quite nicely too. Of course, I had some help today from the big guns. I'll see how I do with the bumblebees tomorrow. I hope to be out there next year with my KX1 as a bee.

Next will be to install the tuner and then really make sure there are no kinks before finishing up the 3080 module. I'm sure glad I didn't try integrating everything at once.

Thanks to all those who post here. I learned a lot without even having to ask.

73,
Paul, kd2mx

Would you advise against installing the 80 meter board during initial assembly? If so, why?