To close the loop, I finally finished installing the encoders and
reassembling my K3. It still works!  And the encoder action is smooth.

I just did the SPEED/MIC and CMP/PWR encoders. Should I decide to attempt
the other two, I'd probably get a better desoldering scheme than I have now.

73

Nick, WA5BDU