Bingo!

That was it.  I cranked the PC and app levels way down to like 30 percent,
dropped the mic gain to zero, and then started slowly increasing the mic gain
and then got ALC bars somewhere around the 15 to 20 level.

I guess in all my playing around with this, I must never have had the
combination of the three controls low enough at the same time.

Thanks for putting me on to this!

73,
David - N5DCH