Peter,

I took a closer look at the AOR 7030 phase noise plot. Out to 5 kHz or so the K2 is noticeably better (11 dB better at 2 kHz). Farther out the 7030 has the advantage. But remember that the 7030 measurements were made in receive mode, whereas the K2's were made in transmit mode, where all sources contribute to raise the noise floor. Hence the term "composite" used by QST in their product reviews.

        2kHz    4     6
K2      -115   -125  -128
7030    -104   -120  -128

73,
Wayne
N6KR

PE1E wrote:

It is said that the synthesized LO of the K2 is of a unique design.
Though, when I compare the LO phase noise specs of the K2 and the AOR7030,
the latter seems to show much better specs.

---

http://www.elecraft.com