Keith _always_ gives good advice. I would add one thing. Make sure the AUXIO
cable is disconnected from the back of the K3 when you do your testing. If it
is directly connected to a KPA500 or KPA1500, it just may keep the K3 from
shutting down. We don’t remember if the LCD will go blank in this situation,
though.

This is why we specify AUXIO cables for the KPAs with pin 8 (the power-on pin)
disconnected.

73,
Jack, W6FB