Chuck,

The cable interfaces are a subset of the entire RS-232 standard.

There are 2 possible explainations that I know of.
First, some USB to serial adapters work OK when connected directly to a native
USB port, but fail in some applications when connected to a hub.

Secondly, since the K2 operates no handshaking, so things becomes time critical
in this 'demand/response' mode.  If the driver software delays getting the data
through, the application driving the K2 may declare a timeout condition and
quit.

You may want to enter the K2 KIO2 commands into a simple terminal program like
Hyperterm and see if the proper response is obtained.  If it can be doen
through Hyperterm, then the control application (logging program, HRD, N4PY,
etc.) is not handling the setup neatly.  If the adapter does not work, look for
a better adapter or check the driver for it.

73,
Don W3FPR