To: "Elecraft Reflector"
Sent: Monday October 18 2021 5:38:20PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Parts availability

 Recently I tried to order some electronic parts for a project I am
 working on. In the old days (like, a year ago) I would just get on
the
 Digi-Key web site, order what I want, and it would arrive in the mail
in
 a few days.

 These days, there are a LOT of parts on the Digi-Key web site that
show
 no availability. I wanted to buy 10 standard, run-of-the-mill LM358
 op-amps in an 8-pin DIP package. This is a 25 cent part that has been
 around for decades. They had none in stock in that quantity, from any
 manufacturer. I ended up ordering a couple in the old-fashioned TO-5
 metal can package for *10 bucks each*. At least they did have some of
 those in stock.

 I also wanted to buy a ceramic capacitor assortment. They listed 6
 assortments that would have worked for me, but all were out of stock.

 Manufacturers with "just in time" parts ordering systems are in a
world
 of hurt these days. Fortunately I don't think Elecraft ever went down
 that path.

 Alan N1AL

 This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net [1]
 /> Message delivered to myflyertra...@cfl.rr.com