So: Somehow I wound up with two K2s. I bought the first one because it was small - multiband - and QSK. I have become enamored of transparent, conversational QSK - the kind where your transmitted signal just sounds like all the other signals. The K2 alas is not that, although it is PIN diode switched. I don't think any commercial transceiver is.

Got K2 #2 to get the KPA100. Moved the KPA100 to #1, because #1 has all the good mods - the PLL mod, the volume control mod, the upgraded crystals, etc.

The closest I have been to really good QSK is a QRP-labs QCX+ kit. But it's only one band, and the receiver is probably not as good as a K2 with a crystal filter - and K2 #1 even has the DSP audio filter. AND it lacks AGC. I was operating field day, a local came on and nearly blew me out of my chair :).

So here's my idea for perfect QSK: I use the two K2's as a transmitter receiver pair. One on transmit, the other on receive. Connect them to the antenna with a custom PIN diode switch. W6JL has a lot of info on that in his QRZ page. Arrange something like 130dB attenuation.... or whatever 100W ( or 500w if I use a linear ) down to a microvolt or two.

HOWEVER... I really don't want to be synchronizing VFOs all the time. So I find some sort of open source transceiver
control program.  And modify it so it tunes TWO radios at the same time.

How good is QSK on the K4? Smooth/transparent? Or clicky-choppy-AGC-pumpy?

                        - Jerry KF6VB