Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:10:36 +0200
From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP<k2vco....@gmail.com>
To:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Background Noise with Mike Plugged in to Rear,
        , Mike Jack

In my experience, the single most important factor in reducing RFI
problems is to prevent RF from flowing back into the station via common
mode current on the feedline. This is easiest to do with balanced
antennas. If they are coax-fed, then you need the appropriate choke at
the feedpoint. And if the coax does not run perpendicular to the
antenna, then a choke will probably be required at the entry to the
shack as well.

Balanced antennas fed with balanced line like window line or open wire
line work best with true balanced antenna tuners. The common practice of
feeding a balanced line running a high SWR via an unbalanced tuner and a
balun is less efficient both from the standpoint of power loss (the
balun gets hot) and choking efficiency (the common mode current gets
through).

An inherently unbalanced antenna, like an OCF dipole, also requires
choking, but the demands on the choke(s) are higher.

RFI problems will vary according to the lengths of the feedlines and the
band in use. A system that is clean on one band may be dirty on others
if common mode currents aren't suppressed.

The time to apply ferrites is AFTER you have done the best possible job
of reducing common mode currents, and after all your equipment is bonded
together. I found that bonding my metal operating desk to the system helped.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
CWops #5