Sounds pretty similar to what I did.  The white rectangle in my photo is a
piece of white sticker vinyl stuck to the PCB under the area where the LCD
mounts  The two LEDs were sanded down with a Dremel tool and sanding drum to
get the light to diffuse and also to make them small enough to shine behind the
LCD panel.  The two LEDs and a 680ohm current limiting resistor are all wired
in series and draw a total of ~12ma off the 12V supply.  Parts and wires are
held in place by dabs of hot glue.

Here's a closeup of an original and modified LED.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsf64g05jgc4mbl/100_0054.JPG?dl=0

    On Saturday, December 4, 2021, 11:09:25 AM MST, David Gilbert