I don't know anything about the KPA-1500, but I have seen similar power ramping if I have K3/config/TX DLY set too short for my AL-1500 amps.  With that amp, I have to set TX DLY to 14 msec.  What happens is that the K3 sees a momentary high swr before the amp relay closes, and throttles back power.  Sometimes you can even see "high swr" flash on the K3 display.  The power then slowly ramps up as the K3 recovers.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ