Thanks

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 12/28/2021 11:46 AM, Lyn Norstad wrote:
Bob -

Should you ever feel the need to replace your feedline, open wire line will
solve that problem.

73
Lyn, W0LEN

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bob McGraw
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2021 7:36 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Output power being eaten

I doubt that ice on the antenna would have any effect in terms of
increased loss.   However, I would expect the resonant frequency to
change and thus the need to adjust the tuner.   If it is and ATU /
automated tuner, then perhaps a bit too low power may cause the SWR
bridge to read incorrectly.

I use a KAT500 and my TUNE power is 20 watts.  This assures the ATU and
SWR circuits have adequate signal to perform the desired function.   As
to the SPE 1.3K amp, as fussy as they are, I'm surprised it didn't trip
off line.

My experience with antenna's changing due to moisture is with my
balanced center fed wire which uses window line for the feed.  It
accumulates moisture, frost, rain, snow, and ice.  The change I do see
is due to the velocity change of the balanced feed.  My measurements of
a couple of years back indicated the length of the line changed
electrically thus a velocity factor change.  Any loss, wet or dry, under
matched conditions was not measurable over a length of 100 ft on 20M.
Therefore, I would expect the mis-matched loss to be about as the book
say.  Again, either wet or dry.

73

Bob, K4TAX