Paul:

> On Jan 11, 2022, at 7:32 AM, Paul Huff <paul142...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With my wife’s encouragement, I recently purchased my “holy grail” radio - an
> Elecraft KX3.  Along with this purchase came the decision to reduce my radio
> “footprint” and get rid of a lot of my old gear that is no longer getting
> much use.  Some of this equipment has some non-trivial monetary value, but I
> don’t need the money, I don’t want to go through the hassle of trying to sell
> it, and I don’t want to deal with shipping issues.  I want to just give it
> away locally, preferably to a club that could use it (or the proceeds from
> selling it) to help younger or disadvantaged hams get on the air.
>
> I’m a 100% QRP/CW operator and most of this stuff relates to that.  The gear
> includes an Elecraft K1, Rockmite 30, SST40, MFJ Versa Tuner II, Astron PS,
> various accessories and numerous books.  I have a 3-page pdf document that
> gives a complete list.  Almost everything is in perfect working order and
> there are both hard and digital copies for most of the owners manuals.
>
> I will organize everything, box it up, and can deliver it to just about
> anywhere in the SE Michigan area.  I want to donate all of it as a group and
> not piece it out a little bit at a time.  If you are associated with a local
> club that could use this donation to promote ham radio, or know somebody who
> is,  please contact me off the list.

I donated my “surplus” gear back in 2019 to a high school amateur radio group
in Gainesville, FL.   My station is in SE Georgia and I spent four years in
Gainesville back in the late 70s, so I knew the club’s advisor through the
Gainesville Amateur Radio Society,  We reconnected in 2018 due to luck and
circumstance and I subsequently learned about the school’s amateur radio club.
When I made the donation I drove to the high school to deliver the ‘goods’ and
later the advisor drove to my ham station to pickup a second load.     I
documented the donation and provided the list to the High School.  They
subsequently confirmed the receipt of items donated, including an Icom IC-781,
a Yaesu FT-736R,  and an Alpha 9500.

Like you, I was primarily interested in passing good equipment to the ’next
generation’ as well as seeing the equipment in active service as it was sitting
on shelves.  An active high school club fits that requirement nicely.  So one
thing to consider is looking to see if such clubs exist in your area.  Local
hams may be serving as club advisors.  Perhaps a local school experienced an
ARISS contact and has a relationship with an amateur club as a result of that
experience.  Talk to local educators to see if they have such clubs at
particular schools.

I still hear from the club advisor concerning the high school amateur radio
club and the activities of the students.  I believe my donation has had an
impact on students which makes me feel that I’ve a made a difference for those
that are using this equipment as well as enhanced the high school’s club
activity.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW/5
Keller, TX