Elecraft - Tarnished, bent and broken crown.  For many years I believed
Elecraft was king.  Now I'm not so sure.  I purchased a KPA500 and KAT500.  I
assumed with all the trouble, protective, and shutdown circuits they would last
a long time and probably never need service.

The Elecraft service tech erroneously advise me to ship it to Calif when it
would not transmit which cost $71.  Turn out to be an interface cable and not
the amp.  The amp didn't need to be shipped.  I had to pay $67 for another
cable which should have been warranted.

Some months past and the amp wouldn't transmit again.  An Elecraft services
tech advised me to ship it back to calif since it was under warrantee.  This
time the shipper charged $140 because the nursing home where I live was
required to ship it commercial and insured.  The tech could have suggest the
obviously burned resister be replaced.

I have been a ham for over 50 years.  I had a SB-220 for over 40 years and
never had to disassemble it for repairs.  I've owned Yaesu's, Icom's and
Alinco's, all new, and never had ship any of them for repairs or even repair
them after years of use.

I have always heard only praise for Elecraft product.  There are less costly
tuners and amps on the market but I believed Elecraft would be the most durable
and reliable.

Before I purchase another Elecraft product I will do even more research and
comparisons.

73, Tim WB8HRO