Al,

I don’t disagree with you at all, but I do want to make a comment. After having
used coax, “open wire” line, and window line in several locations I think I can
add to the discussion. Many folks have antenna tuners that “remember” the L/C
combination for “segments” of each band they operate on. Those memories are
quite handy when one is moving about the bands - change frequency and the tuner
dutifully sets the L/C combination to match what was used the last time at that
spot.

Unfortunately, there is a big difference in those settings between wet and dry
window line. If you’ve “trained” your tuner for a bazillion segments across
each ham band in dry conditions, you can rest assured that when it is
pouring-ass raining outside those settings go out the window (no pun intended).
It is for that reason that, back at my previous QTH in Northern California, I
removed 110 feet of window line feeder and replaced it with open wire line on
my 88 foot long doublet. I had put the antenna up with window line in the
summer and all was fine - until the rainy season started. After the rains
started I could forget using the stored memories in my various “auto tuners”.

So, yes - window line is OK but be prepared to re “tune” your match when the
window line gets wet. I, for one, will not use the stuff again.

Jim Bennett / K7TXA
Eagle, ID