> I suppose you really have a reason to want to stay with
> WriteLog in spite of how difficult it is and can be
> (although it certainly does not sound so in your post!)
> so my suggestion may be moot - but - why not try N1MM
> Logger....

When I purchased WriteLog I looked at several other logging programs. I use
N3FJP and like it for general logging, so I was looking for contest logging
in particular. I looked at N1MM and others a year or so ago when I bought
WriteLog.

I tried lots of demos and freeware programs and dumped any that gave me any
trouble at all during installation and initial setup. I don't remember if
N1MM was in that group or not (i.e. if I had trouble installing it and
getting it to run).

N3FJP has problems with its internally generated CW and I wanted something
that did a better job at that. The write-up at the WriteLog Web site about
how they do their internally generated CW made sense to me as a programmer
(it's interupt-driven, not software-loop driven). That was a plus in its
favor, since I eventually want to run this on my 750MHz laptop instead of my
2 GHz desktop.

I was also looking for something that decoded CW since contests tend to run
at a higher speed than I can easily copy and I was looking for a backup to
my ears. WriteLog can decode CW in six or seven frequency ranges so it works
even if the other guy does a bad job of zero-beating your freq. In a pile-up
it will often decode two or three of the callers simultaneously. I don't
believe N1MM does that, and would have required me to download another
program for that function. I tried CWGet, which works OK but for best
results seems to require more manual intervention than I can give it during
a contest.

Of course WriteLog doesn't tell you that you'll have to decode its .ini
files for many of its advanced features. Once you figure that out, it's not
a huge deal, but it seems unnecessarily complicated. If I had an afternoon
with the documentation I could write a program that would let you read and
write the options using more conventional Windows controls instead of
Notepad. (Hmmm....)

As far as its loss of comm with the K2, I haven't narrowed that down yet. I
don't know if it's the microKEYER, WriteLog, my K2, cabling, or what. So I
hesitate to dump the program for that reason only to discover that N1MM or
some other program has the same problem.

As far as sounding negative about WriteLog, I sound negative about almost
all the software I use (except the programs I write) so you have to discount
that a little bit. :-) The point of my post was to see if anyone else had
similar experiences and how they solved them. But I appreciate the
recommendation.

Craig