From: Frank Hale
Sent: Jan 29, 2022 8:11 PM
To: Eric Garner
Cc: Reflector Elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] RPN Calc App For Android

First time posting to the reflector. Please forgive any errors.

I found this little inquiry and the resulting responses fascinating.

I'm old enough that:
(1) I had to use a slide rule in college chemistry classes, because
new-fangled electronic calculators were not allowed
(2) I learned RPN as part of understanding the FORTRAN compiler on an IBM
370
(3) I had to debug the early Intel Fortran-80 compiler on their 8008 MDS
system, because it was generating bad code
(4) I have an HP 35s RPN calculator as my "desk calculator," along with a
10" Post 1460 Versalog slide rule, and a 10" Sun Hemmi 255 slide rule
(5) I keep a 5" Pickett N600-ES slide rule (the "Apollo" slide rule) and a
5" Nestler Polymath-Duplex slide rule in my desk pencil holder
(6) I have the "Pocket Slide Rule Expert" app from TestTubeGames.com on my
iPhone (8 SE, ported from 4, because AT&T won't support the 4 anymore)

Sorry I can't help much with Android questions (never had one), but I did
enjoy the discussion of RPN and slide rules!

73,

Frank KN6QEK