I had a similar problem when I first got my P3.  The symptom(s) centered around the noise drifting upward.  Hand on top would send it back down to the baseline.  One of the Elecraft techs [who I know well] sent me a new jumper on the condition that I cut the old one into 5 cm pieces so it didn't show up at a swap meet.  The new one fixed the issues.

The P3 is really a tuneable receiver that covers most of the HF spectrum.  We just leave it tuned to the 8 MHz 1st IF.  If the cable/connectors are not really shielded well, it will pick up ambient noise.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County