Wow. Thanks Don!!

john-n4dsp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:39 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Why no IF shift ?

Folks, (long philosophical response - delete if not interested in my
opinion).

Some very good points mentioned in this thread, but the reality of all of it
is compromise.
For any given price target, some tradeoffs must be made. If I can interpret the K2 design goals loosely, the dynamic range was considered uppermost, and
good sensitivity and IP3 performance running a close second.  To achieve
that in a kit product, single conversion IMHO is the only realistic way to
go.

Yes, there ae very good designs out there for multi-conversion receivers and
they have their costs and limitations, but the K2 is a compromise of all
that.  It is single conversion because that is the way to contain the
dynamic range and good IP3 characteristics within the chosen price range.
It is well known that one must get into the $3K+++ transceivers to achieve
those receive parameters that K2/100 owners have achieved for less than half
that price.

Certainly, IF shift is not an easy acomplishment with a single conversion
transceiver.  Answering one question posed in the thread which asked why a
BFO frequency knob would not do the deed - the answer is YES, BUT - if only
the BFO frequency is changed, the displayed frequency would no longer be
correct - the firmware currently corrects for both the BFO and VFO
frequencies and displays the correct carrier frequency, so while passband
tuning might be accomplished simply by changing the BFO, the VFO would have
to be altered manually to compensate for the BFO shift, and the resulting
frequency on the dial would be incorrect.  We used to do exactly that on
receivers with a variable BFO, but then we did not have digital dials that
were good to the nearest 10 Hz (but I digress).  When CAL FIL is run, all
that is taken into consideration in the firmware, and the EEPROM values
contain the result of that calibration run which produces correct carrier
frequency dial readings - you have to give up one thing to gain another in
any design process unless 'price is no object'.

If the world were perfect, we would all have receivers with a 120+ dB
dynamic range, straight sided selectivity curves (with perfectly flat pass
band shapes and no change in group delay across the passband), MDS figures
in the -160 dB range and all that at a cost of less than $100 - of course I am dreaming based on today's technology and price/performance criteria that
would be within the budget of the majority of hams.  There is no sense in
developing a superior design for production that would sell only one unit
because of the cost involved - that is the stuff that extreme designs can
produce, but those are currently the stuff of advanced homebrewers - they
are the designs of tomorrow when the price of such designs comes down to an
affordable level suitable for production.

73,
Don W3FPR