The first time I saw the term "passband tuning" was on the Collins 75A4
receiver.  It shifted the BFO in one direction and the main PTO in the other
direction. The two were linked together with a mechanical strap. The idea
was that the pitch of the received signal would not change nor would the
actual selectivity bandwidth.  It was useful in both CW and SSB.  The
background pitch changed, but not the tone of the signal being received.

Then the Drake receivers came along, and did the same thing with the
variable L/C filters in the 50kHz IF.  A different approach, but the effect
was the same. The passband could be adjusted from one side of zero beat to
the other.

I thought that PBT a great feature.  Then I got a Kenwood TS-930S which had
"VBT" - "Variable Bandwidth Tuning".  This feature allowed for the
adjustment of the difference between two edges of two filters - like opening
and closing a sliding door - the "gap" could be adjusted wider or narrower,
thus changing the selectivity.  The center frequency does not change. You
get continuously-variable selectivity this way and can respond to any band
condition easily. Now I am used to that feature and miss it on other rigs

73,  John W2XS.