I asked for permission to operate VHF from the Queen of the North one time during our Alaska travels. I was not told just no but "H**L NO" from the captain. Good Luck :>) By the way, I did ask very politely.

Todd, WA7U

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Alaska - Cruise

On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Craig Rairdin wrote:

You also need to have an International Amateur Radio Permit. You get it from the ARRL. Make sure you allow plenty of time to receive it. They get snippy if you ask for it in less than two or three weeks. It costs a few dollars to
cover postage. You have to send a picture, like for a passport.  It's all
spelled out at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/iarp- app.pdf

I found myself in Vancouver on Field Day weekend and received a warm welcome
from the local hams when I showed up at midnight Saturday.  Unfortunately
there wasn't a key or paddle in sight, but I did work some 40M phone. Nobody
asked for my IARP. :-)

An IARP is not required for operation by US amateurs in Canada--there is a reciprocal operating agreement which allows operation without any paperwork. The IARP is good for LU, PY, YS, HP, OA, 9Y, CX and YV, however.

When operating from a ship in international waters, it is necessary to have a license or other operating permission (CEPT, IARP, reciprocal license, etc.) from the country in which the ship is registered, in addition to permission of the captain.

73 - Bob, N7XY