On 2022-03-13 15:13, jerry wrote:
My 8 y/o son has been lusting after an $800 Lego kit.  A walking Star
Wars tank. It has something like 8000 pieces.  I explained to my wife
that it would reasonably keep him busy for a whole week.  But she didn't
see the logic :).  So we bought him a simpler kit with 1200 pieces that
will keep him busy for one day.

I don't know whether the K2 or the $800 Lego kit would take less time to build but he will learn some new skills assembling the K2. The K2 could spark an interest that could last a lifetime where the walking Star Wars tank could be forgotten in a few months.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                    | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick