With all the various pieces of information in this discussion, let’s answer
things correctly. First, is hardwired cabling needed?
The answer is no, it is definitely not. The KPA500 always counts the RF
frequency and will switch to the counted band if
it does not agree with whatever else it sees. If the input frequency from a
cable says 10 meters, but the counted frequency is for 15 meters,
the amplifier _will_ switch to 15 meters. This is to make sure that we are
always on the band for which RF iS coming in.
So, is there any advantage to having the hard-wired cable? Yes, a slight one.
To answer this, let me explain how the band switching occurs.
When the amplifier detects, and confirms that RF is coming into the input port
on a band different than what it was last using, it will
institute a band change. This causes the KPA to drop out of amplifying, then
switch bands, and then re-enable amplification.
This takes 17 milliseconds to accomplish. What this means is that you will lose
a portion of the first CW character. If you were sending
a W, you will get a shortened dit. If you were sending at high speed, you might
end up with an M. Considering that this happens
rarely (just on band changes), you probably won’t object to the shortened dit
(or dah). Note that the count is always verified (at least
two valid counts must match as I recall).

So, what is the recommended usage? As I note, it works with a cable, or
without. You just need the PTT input connected to the transceiver
so that the KPA knows when to go into transmit. Can there be problems with not
using a frequency cable? The KPA does a remarkable job of
protecting itself. You don’t want to make a habit of transmitting into the
amplifier at 100 watts, or you could damage the front end protection.
But, in general it works just fine without problems.

So, what do _I_ use? I have the very first KPA, and another that is a couple of
years old. I use a K3-compatible band cable with my amplifiers.
The biggest reason is that I am constantly testing my amplifiers (even while
using them in a contest), and want to make sure everything is
working just fine. After more than ten years, no problems. I do test them
without the cable at times as well.In general, when you hear me in a
contest, it is with the cables in use.

Thus, both ways work great. If you try it without a band cable and are troubled
by the shortened dit, then build (or buy) a cable. Otherwise,
just enjoy the KPA500. We worked very hard on the protection circuits and
processor code, and it does a very good job of taking care of itself.

73,
Jack, W6FB