Dear Folks:

I'm not really a big FT8 operator, but if you want to work 6 meters, that's where the action is.  Recently, a local ham sent me an email indicating that I was broadcasting, in addition to my primary FT8 signal, a secondary wider bandwidth signal about 1 khz above my primary frequency.  He suggested that I check my ALC setting, and asked whether I am using WSJT CAT control to control the transmitter (I am but don't know how that would cause me to generate the extra signal).  I am using a K3s with a KPA500.

I had thought that, when using FT8, I should have the first four bars of the ALC indicator lit, with the fifth one either lit or flickering.  Am I wrong about this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

73 de Bernie, KF0QS