Someone wrote ...

"Neither I nor the club are making anything on this. It's unfortunate, but this
is the third one of these instances that we've been called upon to do in the
past year."

Over the last decade or so our club has been involved in the disposition of
seven silent key estates of varying sizes.

For one we merely suggested fair market prices to the commercial company
handling the estate and made the sale known to area amateurs.

For another (a long-time member and former club officer with no immediate
family) we provided security and assistance during the two-day sale of
household goods and home showing.  His modest radio station sold quickly to
local club members.

For a third we arranged for the donation of his equipment to the local American
Red Cross chapter.

The club charged nothing and received nothing for the above tendered services.

However, the remaining four estates involved stations of substantial size
requiring considerable time, labor, and risk of injury.  Knowing this, the
three widows and, in the fourth instance, the ham's parents, stated beforehand
that the club could keep all such proceeds.

As a result, the club's current treasury stands at $18,000 and would be
considerably higher had we not recently upgraded our VHF/UHF repeater system.

Clearly, estate sales will be more numerous over the coming years with fewer
hams available as buyers.  We have discussed the need for, but not yet decided
upon, a club policy regarding remuneration for such services to those estates
wishing us to provide the labor while they retain the proceeds.

Community service may be our middle name, but there is a degree of legal
liability, risk of personal injury, and assumption of fiducial responsibility
when handling other people's assets.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV