As Larry says, the major problem with the older scopes are that they use custom ICs and mechanical components that are long out of production.

The attenuators on the 465 series are a weak point and are essentially unrepairable and should be checked for proper operation before purchase.

I have a 465M and a Tek digital scope (TDS-430A, 2 channels, 400 MHz) and continue to use the 465 as it is preferable for some applications. (Plus, the digital scope is usually half-way across the basement, over by the PIC work area). For example, the 465 analog scope is better at displaying XY plots than the TDS430A. On the other hand, there are many applications that I would hate to go back to an analog scope, and it lets me generate graphics that can be used for illustrations.

Jack
www.cliftonlaboratories.com

Larry Phipps wrote:
If portability is not required, you might also want to look at the Tek 7000 series mainframes, and pick up a couple plugins. These tend to be a little cheaper than the 465, and you can replace a plugin cheaply if it goes bad. It also opens up the option of a spectrum analyzer plugin. That being said, I have both and tend to use the 465 most of the time (and leave the SA plugins installed on the 7000 series).

In general, I highly recommend buying solid state test gear from Tek and HP of the 70's and 80's era as opposed to newer gear of the same price... but beware some of it can be very difficult to fix if a mechanical part fails, like a ganged range switch for instance.

Larry N8LP

Jack Smith wrote:
Tektronix 465 series. 100 MHz, dual trace workhorse of the analog scopes in the 1970's and should be readily available for a few hundred dollars.

Budget a decent set of 10X probes if not included.

Jack

Craig Rairdin wrote:
I'm browsing eBay for an oscilloscope suitable for troubleshooting projects
like the Elecraft kits and am looking for recommendations on particular
models or suggested features and specifications.  Thanks for your help.
Craig
NZ0R