To hear a beat note when sending CW, your VX-7R will have to be in SSB or CW mode. When set for AM reception what you are hearing is normal.

Jack

Michael Cook wrote:
OK, I'm back for more help. I've been building a KPA 100 and I'm at the part where you are supposed to first test the transmitter by transmitting into a dummy load and listening on another receiver.

Now the other other receiver I have is a Yaesu VX-7R handy-talkie. Now I've tuned them both to the same frequency (7.150 khz) and the VX-7R is an AM mode. When I key the transmitter, the 7R picks it up, but I can't hear any sound. I've fiddled with the volume and all that. It breaks squelch, it shows up real strong on the S meter (full meter). But there is just no sound, I can't hear the CW signal. This happens at all power levels. I've also tried tuning around a little bit.

Now my theory is that this is my fault, as I've never tried to use the VX-7R to try to listen to CW before so I'm not sure what I'm doing is right.

Is my procedure above correct? Is there something else I need to do (like set a different frequency)?

-- Michael Cook