A few brief and random thoughts…

You say the CAT control is working...Does the KX3 actually go into TX mode in
FT8, or does it just sit there? Are you keying the rig via CAT, or via VOX and
if VOX, is it enabled and levels adjusted?

You say it works in SSB…when you reconnected it to your PC sound card did you
remember to turn mic bias off?

Is the KX3 in DATA mode or are you using sideband?  If using sideband, did you
remember to turn the MIC BTN setting off?  Actually it’s maybe a good idea to
turn this off either way.

If it goes into TX mode with FT8, then what is the ALC level? Are you seeing
any on the meter?

73,
Dave - N5DCH