Mystery solved!  The spurs appear to be coming from a solar installation on a house about 1/2 mile (3/4 km) from my house.

One interesting point is that the spurs do not go away at sundown, but continue until fairly late in the evening.  Apparently that solar installation must have some kind of battery to store the energy.

Solar panels are DC devices and do not themselves generate interference.  Rather it is the inverter(s) and other electronics that are the problem.  There are two kinds of solar systems -- the ones with all the panels in series feeding a single inverter and the kind with a separate inverter for each panel.  The latter is the kind I had on my house in California before it was destroyed in a fire and I never had a noise problem.  I have heard that the single-inverter systems are more troublesome from an RFI standpoint.  There was an article in April 2016 QST magazine about how to mitigate RFI from solar systems.  ("Can Solar Power and Ham Radio Coexist?" by Tony Brock-Fisher K1KP)

The story:  I finally go around to walking around the neighborhood with my KX2.  I only have the AX1 antenna for it, which is not resonant on the 40 meter band, and I was not using a counterpoise so I could barely hear the signal from in front of my house.

I started walking south down the street but the signal seemed to be getting weaker.  So I turned around and walked north.  The signal was getting slightly stronger the farther I went.  I turned right at the end of the street onto another street and it kept gradually getting a little stronger.  At one point I suspected it might be coming from a Montessori school, but when I walked down the access street toward it it didn't get any stronger.  Plus with everything in the news these days I didn't think it would be a good idea for a strange man holding a strange contraption to be walking around the school grounds.  :=)

So I kept walking down the main street and within a couple blocks the signal started to rapidly increase in strength.  It peaked in front of a certain house, strongest at the right side of the house. Sure enough there are solar panels on that side of the roof.  The signal was peaking about S4 or S5 on the KX2 S-meter.  Again, this is with a non-resonant antenna with no counterpoise.

As I mentioned, the spurs are about S6 on the ground-mounted trap vertical at my house and they are almost buried in the noise when the band opens up at night.  So I'm not going to bug the neighbor about it.  But I bet they would have trouble trying to listen to AM radio at their house.

Alan N1AL