From: Bob McGraw <rmcg...@benlomand.net>
nd.net>

Start with COMP at 0, adjust the MIC gain while speaking normal voice to
attain 5 to 6 bars {no more} as indicated on the ALC meter.? Then adjust
the COMP for a value to indicate about 10 on voice peaks.

For those that believe in using the "I turned it up a little bit, now
how does that sound?" approach, ..... forget it.? Set it correctly as
described above? and it will sound great.?? There is a right way to do
this.?? Anything else is flying by the seat of your pants.

If you desire to have it sound different, then twiddle the EQ values
until your hearts content.?? After doing so, you may need to reset the
MIC and COMP levels to be correct.

I much prefer to listen to my signal on a remote SDR and record my
signal on the SDR site. Then listen to it in my shack on my speakers.?
Then I know HOW MY SIGNAL SOUNDS.?? That's what is important. ? I make
adjustments from there.

As to others, they can adjust their receivers, their speakers, their
hearing aids and a host of other things that will make ones signal
sound......err, many different ways.? So which one of the "many
different ways" is best?? Likely none of them.

73

Bob, K4TAX

OK, with mic set to 20 ALC was a little low; 23 setting produced ALC=5 with speaking the word "FORE" (old radioman's test word for checking modulation).

When I advanced COMP, 23 now has 10-dB indicating. MY guess the difference heard by others from 20&25 to 23&23 probably would not be discerned. I will find out tomorrow during our VHF Net. My old default settings were 20&20.

73, Ed - KL7UW