No.  Over time the current does not "back up".

Something in your system is heating up.  My bet would be that your toroids used as common mode chokes are heating up due to the very high voltages that exist at the end of an end fed half wave antenna.  It's not likely to be a current problem since there isn't much current at all at the end of a half wave antenna ... unless yours isn't actually a half wave at whatever frequency your feeding it.

It is also possible that something in the Palstar tuner is heating up, but it uses decent looking inductors wound on ceramic forms so I really doubt it.

I'm guessing that you aren't using any sort of counterpoise with your EFHW.  If you did, it would have the effect of making your EFHW look a bit more like just a severely off-center fed dipole with the result that the voltage (and possibly the mismatch) would be less.

In any case, don't go key down any longer than you need to if you don't want to fry the toroids before you get a chance to fix the problem.

73,
Dave AB7E