k3wyc said:

> ... The spotted frequency should be the suppressed carrier frequency ...

I don't think so. Most modern CW rigs that I am aware of, including the K3,
display the actual transmitted frequency on the dial, not the SSB
suppressed carrier frequency.

That is why the spotted frequency should not depend on the choice of
sidetone if the rig is tuned to the signal correctly. If the displayed
frequency on the dial was the suppressed carrier frequency, then spotted
frequencies would depend on the sidetone, but that is fortunately not the
case with most modern radios. The microprocessor in the radio takes care of
the offset calculation.

If someone has a rig without adjustable sidetone and they prefer to listen
to a different tone than their rig's sidetone, they need to be aware that
when they listen this way they will be transmitting on a different
frequency than the signal they are receiving, and also that frequencies
they spot will be incorrect.

If spots seem to be consistently to one side or the other of your sidetone,
though, my first thought would be that there could be a frequency
calibration error in your rig. An easy way to check would be to tune to the
WWV carrier with the rig in CW mode. With the dial on exactly 10.000 MHz,
the carrier tone you hear in the receiver should be the same as your
sidetone. In SSB, on the other hand, the WWV carrier should not be audible
(it should be at 0 Hz) with the dial on exactly 10.000 MHz.

73,
Rich VE3KI