Another anecdote:

Summer of 1981 I was working for the BLM Alaska Wildfire Center in Fairbanks as a radio tech. That summer a Class-A fire started near the town of Livengood and only three miles away from the Alaska Pipeline that brings crude oil from the north shore down to Valdez. There was great concern that the fire would reach the pipeline so large response was activated. I was assigned as the Radio Officer for this.

The main base camp was set up on a 2400-foot high ridge that overlooked the fire. We had a tent dispatch center consisting of two vertical VHF antennas mounted on two 30-foot fiberglass "Hot Sticks" (so name as the telescoped from 8-foot and primarily used by power line workers for high tension lines). From this contact was made over 75-miles to the BLM Base.

A wind storm generated considerable static electricity such that the HT's lying on the ground would draw a six inch arc if one were to try picking up the radio. Initially being told by one of the dispatchers that the "radio bit her", I scoffed that a 6v radio could do that and promptly demonstrated my "intelligence" by getting shocked when I tried to pick one HT up. Took me a bit to work out what was happening. There was a pause in dispatch for almost an hour.

73, Ed - KL7UW