Team:

I have been using a wire out the window from my upstairs office for an
antenna for my kx3. The wire goes to a tree about 30 feet away, so it is
essentially a random wire.  I have an additional wire that goes to a ground
rod one floor below.

In doing some experiments with RBN and this combination with 5 watts, I was
confused about why connecting the wire to the tree to ground through the
BNC-BP and the ground wire to the hot side of the BNC-BP gave better
results.

Finally, I measured which was which, and discovered that the black plastic
nut on this connector is actually connected to the center pin of the BNC,
with the red being ground. This was certainly contrary to my expectations.

I also have a kx2 and got one of these connectors along with that kit. And
sure enough, it had the same convention--black is the center pin, red is
ground.

This is contrary enough to my intuition that I reversed the nuts, so now
that the red indicates the center pin.

Is this a convention that black is hot and red is ground with these?

Thanks,
w8lvn

--
--w8lvn--