About a month ago, I upgraded from an old (2015?) Intel i5-based MBP to the
new M2 MBP, and was able to migrate everything over to it seamlessly by having
the M2 import all of my bits from the TimeMachine backup. I've been using
RUMlogNG for years, and it works nicely with both WSJT-X and JTDX
*simultaneously*, with WSJT-X driving the upgraded K3 (near-K3s) operating with
the KXV3B on 630m and JTDX operating the K4D on the HF bands. I do not have
RUMlogNG do any rig control for me, however.
I have 24MB of memory in this MBP, but I was operating with 16MB on the old MBP
just fine. I had a 250GB SSD on the old MBP, but splurged for 1TB on the M2.
However, I think you should be able to get by with 16/250 on an Apple Silicon
based machine unless you're planning to watch a movie or edit video while
you're working the bands :-) One trick that I pull is to have a separate
partition on a large USB drive (which is primarily used for TimeMachine) to
keep less-needed files, as well as the log files generated by WSJT-X and JTDX.
I simply created a symbolic link in the files for those two apps to point to
the right places on the USB drive.
Only fly in the ointment I've encountered is that I run Parallels and it
upgraded to the latest version and then installed Windows 11 ARM for me. I
haven't played with it yet, so I don't know how much it will bog down the
system. *BUT*, be forewarned that Ham Radio DeLuxe is Intel-only and flatly
told me in their support forum that they do NOT intend to make an ARM64 version
for Windows 11. I only use HRD as a backup log program to review my awards
standing (e.g., DXCC, WPX, etc.), and now do so on my Intel-based iMac, but I
plan to retire it eventually. I've never used it for rig control, etc.
I also had a minor problem porting 'flaa' to the new system, and had to forage
for an as-yet unreleased version and compile it myself. But, once I did, it
worked beautifully. Also, I was able to use the latest versions of
nanovna-saverwith my nanoVNA-F, by doing a 'chmod +x' one time to make it
executable, but I do have to invoke it from a command line in Terminal, and it
takes a while to start up, even though I have the latest Python version
installed.
I have not updated to Ventura yet, either - simply too busy doing other/fun
stuff - but I'll be happy to assist as best I can.
73,
Brandy, N1HO

    On Saturday, September 24, 2022, 02:26:00 PM EDT, David Christ