Carter,

Facts:
1) The Kenwood mic wiring is very similar to the Elecraft - all mic header
pins wired straight across except pins 5 and 6 which may be not connected or
pin 5 may be connected to 5 volts.  See the KSB2 manual for details.  Since
your Kenwood mic is a dynamic type you should have no resistor wired to the
back of the mic jack.

2) The ProSet-K2 needs to have a 5.6k resistor from +5v to the AF line (pin
1) to power the electret element.

You can check the mic jack pin 5 to see whether it has 5 volts on it or
not - you can do that without opening the K2.  If you do find 5 volts
present on pin 5 it would be possible to put a 5.6k resistor inside the
Proset-K2 adapter between pins 5 and 1 - it would be a tight fit (use a 1/8
watt size for an easier fit), but that would be the only thing needed.

If you do not have 5 volts on mic pin 5 or you do not like the idea of
mounting the resistor inside the adapter/plug, there is another solution,
but it involves getting into the K2 (that should not break it in any way)
and wire the mic configuration header to the Elecraft 'standard', then alter
the Kenwood mic.  The alteration needed on the Kenwood mic is to be certain
nothing is connected to pins 5 and 6 at the plug end of the cord, and
somewhere in the AF (pin 1) line, you need to place a capacitor about 1 uF
in value.  The capacitor would likely fit most easily into the head of the
mic, there just is not adequate room in the plug.  If you use an
electrolytic or other polarized type, the + side should go toward pin 1.

As yet another solution, you could build an alternate external adapter for
either mic.  Details of the connections would depend on your choices of how
you wish to have the K2 mic jack pinout.  I would suggest that the external
box would be a better solution IMHO, and I would include switching from one
mic to the other inside that box too, but then that is just my way of
tackling the situation, your choices may differ.  I would even include
adding fixed audio output to the mic jack and add a computer soundcard
interface inside the switching box too, in fact my mic switching box does
exactly that and has provisions for 3 mics, one of which needs a preamp
(also inside the box), and I can plug an Elecraft wired mic directly into
the K2 for forays with the K2 portable.

73,
Don W3FPR