In addition to my regular duty as the Comm Officer at Galena AFS AK in 1963, I also flew a DeHaviland L-20 "Beaver" for the CAP SAR missions.  AK bush pilots never seemed to check the gas gauge before taking off so it was a couple of missions a month.  Not only was it deafening in flight, the oil filler pipe and dipstick came up between the seats providing, for your added comfort, a hot oil smell [and fine oil mist if you removed the cap to check the dipstick] in-flight.

The four headsets in the airplane were David Clark<somethings> of uncertain vintage to which several attempts to cushion them with foam had been made, none of which were particularly successful.  The L-20 cruised around 120 kts [it maxed at about 130 kts at triple the noise] and, since no place in AK is close to any other place in AK, I was deaf with a headache after every mission.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County