Hi gang,

I think my K2's crystal filter/BFO alignment (CAL FIL) is messed up, and I
need a bit of guidance...

Should the pitch of the background atmospheric noise change when CW RV is
toggled on and off?  Mine changes greatly, but it seems that it shouldn't,
if all CW RV does is switch sidebands.

Also, I have the KSB2 installed, and the pitch of the atmospheric noise
changes greatly when I switch from USB to LSB or vice versa.  It seems that
this pitch change shouldn't happen, if the crystal filters are aligned
properly.

Finally, and most irritatingly of all, in CW mode, when I switch from filter
FL1 to FL2, the pitch of the received CW signal changes significantly.
However, when I switch from FL2 to FL3, or from FL3 to FL4, no such pitch
change occurs, which is good.

I assume that I inadvertently changed the FL1 BFO setting.  However, I
subsequently tried various settings and couldn't get the pitch of the
received CW note for FL1 to match that of FL2.  What am I doing wrong?
Shouldn't I be able to correct this problem by trial-and-error, without
using Spectrogram?

Unfortunately, I'm not set up to use Spectrogram to align the filters.  The
problem is that I know very little about PC hardware, so I have no idea how
to feed the K2 receiver's audio into my computer, or whether my computer and
sound card are even capable of such a thing.

I'd very much appreciate any advice.

My filters have never been aligned carefully for SSB, but I haven't been too
worried about it, since I work nearly 100% CW.  However, the basic CW
filters, FL1-FL4, were aligned by Gary at Elecraft before I installed the
KSB2, so they were right at one time.  Is the alignment of FL1-FL4 in CW
mode affected by the addition of the KSB2?

My K2 is an older one -- s/n 821 with no rev. B mods, nor any other mods.
The options installed are the KSB2, KAT2, KAF2, KNB2, and KBT2.

Thanks in advance, 73 & 72,
Jeff
WB5GWB
Long Island, NY

p.s.  Here's a trivia question to which I'm curious to know the answer:  Why
is it that the KAT2's relays chatter pleasantly when you turn the K2 on, but
make not a peep when you turn it off?