All efforts are toward mitigation of lightning damage.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 7/28/2023 4:14 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 19
From: Al Lorona<alor...@sbcglobal.net>
To: Elecraft Reflector<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject:  A dumb question about lightning

Please don't laugh at me; I'm a transplant from a region of the country with
essentially no lightning to a region where you have to worry about it quite a
bit.

We had a doozy of a storm last night, with lots of lightning overhead. I felt
like a sitting duck, even though I had grounded both sides of the balanced
feedline of the antenna, switched the antenna switch to the middle (grounded)
position, and even disconnected the coax leading to the K3's rear-panel antenna
port.

Whenever lightning happens, I always wonder if it really is in fact better to
ground everything. Because, doesn't that essentially make a lightning rod of
the antenna? If I simply disconnected the antenna and left it floating,
wouldn't it be less likely to attract a lightning bolt?

I'm of the belief that it's better to try to avoid a direct hit than to attract
one and trust your grounding system to do its thing. I'm of the belief that no
grounding system is perfectly effective.

Al? W6LX/4