It isn't limited to vertical antennas at all.  I once got zapped with a thick 2 inch long bright blue arc from an 80m Inverted-V that didn't have any static bleedoff.  I used to just short the shack end of the coax for that purpose, but one time I had forgotten to do that until I remembered just as a storm was approaching in the distance.  As I reached down to put on the sorted PL259 (I had one hand on the concrete floor) the zap nailed me on the other hand. The biceps of both arms were sore for three days.

Anything that can generate a difference of potential is a potential risk.  It's informative to look up how much voltage is required to create a 2" arc in dry air.  I can't find a source, but it would probably also interesting to see what kind of current is necessary to make the arc almost 2 mm thick.

73,
Dave   AB7E