You can operate SPLIT, you just can't listen to two frequencies at the same time. Just hold the SPLIT key. Then set VFO A to your receive frequency and VFO B to the transmit frequency. You can temporarily switch the VFOs by holding the REV key. When you let go, it switches back.

So when you are working a DX pileup, you tune in the DX station normally.  Then tap A->B to put both VFOs on the same frequency. Then you hold SPLIT to separate RX and TX. Then hold REV and tune until you hear the guy the DX is working. Release REV and you will hear the DX again, and your transmit frequency will be where you want to call.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
formerly K2VCO