Mike Fitzgibbon wrote:

Just a few short weeks ago I had K2 #186 sitting on my old Triton IV(after a PTO rebuild) and I pondered this very question...that is, what are the differences and similarities in performance and use between these two radios... Which one do I prefer for CW, and which for SSB(even though I seldom use the mike)?

Apart from what feels comfortable to you, there's one huge difference between these rigs (I had one too). The Triton IV front end cannot handle large signals anywhere near as well. For example, if someone in Europe or the Middle East tries to use it on 40 meters at night, they will get a band full of garbage! I know this from experience. So although it is a very cute rig, simple and pleasant to use, with good QSK, the basic performance doesn't compare with the K2 (or many other modern rigs).
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco